[nagdu] An update on the owner training situation

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 17:16:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

Personally i would have planned my puppy around my schedule, not the other way around.  Since you'd already signed up for hours, it might have been best to wait until another litter is born.  Excitement to start training is understandable, but since you're dealing with a young pup that will be a service dog one day, socialization and all the puppy requirements from you will have to be more structured than if it were a family pet.

I'm not saying you can't do it now, but only that this seems to have been rushed into.

I had a golden oppertunity to get a puppy from a litter before Zion's.  I didn't though, because I knew that I couldn't devote the amount of time needed to him at that time.  When I did get him, it was still a bit of work to deal with him and school, but I got him at a time where i could schedule my work around him. If I'd not been able to do that, I wouldn't have gotten the puppy.

So, that's my bit on that.

Anyway, what's done is done. Let's move on.

As ar as the whining goes. clickers really only work for barking, at least in my experience.  Understand that your dog is very young still and might be scared of being taken away from her littermates.  I think the best thing to do with young puppies is ignore them when they start whining.
It teaches them that scarey things are going to happen, and they need to cope with it.  If you're constantly giing her attention, she is, in the end, getting what she wants.

Once she realizes that whining is getting no response from you, she will stop.  This will happen slowly and obviously not over night, but it needs to be conistant.  In a pack, dogs will ignore a dog that's seeking undeserved atttention, unless that dog puts the pack in danger.  When the dog quiets down for 10 to 20 minutes, then go and, very calmly, say hi.  One thing to remember is your aditude must be the complete opposite as her's in this case. so if she's excited or scared, you need to dish out equal, or more, calmness and tranquility.  I hope this make sense, but how you react nonverbally will send all kinds of messages to your dog, even if its not message you want to send.

Hope this helps.

Valerie