[nagdu] drinking water, was, puppy follow!

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Aug 31 22:15:21 UTC 2014

Raven,

	For anything involving amounts, you have to worry about going to far
in either direction. As Julie and Vivianna have said, most of us who call
our dogs away from water do so because we have learned the hard way that not
doing so had negative consequences. Lexia does not drink as much if she does
not drink immediately after coming in from doing her business or if she eats
first, which, to me, is a clear sign that she does not really need all of
the water. I give her more later, so it is not like I am depriving her of
water. Also, there is a difference in relieving more often and relieving too
much. Finally, no, most dogs do not know how much they need. Some might, but
most don't. Some breeds do not eat as much, but most dogs will just eat and
eat and eat. I have a friend whose dog ate most if not all--I cannot
remember the details--of a bag of dog food. I think that they do it by
instinct because wild dogs do not know when their next meal will be and how
much it will be. I think that most dogs will stop eventually with water, but
not always before they make themselves sick and/or need to urinate a lot
more.

Nicole