[nagdu] First-hand Experience

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Wed Dec 3 01:58:06 UTC 2014

There's nothing like a little first-hand experience to highlight just how
serious an issue can be.

Upon returning from a trip to the coast last Thursday, my wife and I were
refused a taxi at the airport because of my Guide Dog, Michener.

In Alberta, there are two acts that cover this situation, the "Blind and
Deaf Persons Rights Act" and the "Service Dogs Act," which allow for a hefty
fine to be levied.

Unfortunately, when I contacted the police, I was told that the police don't
investigate "this sort of issue."

It is really disheartening to have to explain to a law enforcement official
that a person has committed an offence, and that that person will not be
fined any amount if charges are not laid.

On the brighter side, after several calls to several supervisors, the RCMP
is at least going to look into the issue, as is the Alberta Human Rights
Commission and Edmonton's Vehicle for Hire Commission.

Also, it looks like a local TV network will be putting a bit of weight
behind the cause.

It is truly sad that, after more than 20 years of legislation prohibiting
this sort of corporate behaviour, blind people still have to fight just to
get the police to open a file.

Take Care,
Dudley, with Michener