[nagdu] dogs and peanut butter

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 23:25:45 UTC 2014

When I was working, Chase and I had a peanut butter routine.

When I prepared to leave at the end of the day, I would go to the kitchen in
the office and fill Chase's kong with peanut butter.  I would put it in a
plastic bag in the freezer.  Then, when we came in in the morning, I would
go down to the kitchen and get the frozen peanut butter kong.  Chase would
be sitting, tethered to my desk, waiting.

I would put the kong on the floor within his reach and make him wait until I
told him it was okay to get it.  He would take the kong onto his bed and
make happy dog noiseds for about twenty minutes After that, the peanut
butter would be gone and the kong would be clean as a whistle.

I never saw any indication the peanut butter hurt him.  It doesn have a lot
of fat calories and if your dog is prone to get overweight, I would think
you might want to either cut down on other food or limit the peanut butter
so the dog doesn't get fat eating peanut butter.

Craig and Chase, who can smell the peanut butter jar open from a hundred
yards away