[nagdu] discrimination complaint against Yellow Cab

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Dec 8 16:07:08 UTC 2014

Is yellow checkered can the same as yellow cab?

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 8, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Elizabeth Campbell via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Hello all,

My apologies for being way behind with my email lately. Too  much going on
during the holidays.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I recently filed a discrimination
charge against Yellow Cab by contacting the Human Relations Commission of
Fort Worth. Yellow Cab contracts with cities to provide transportation. I
filed my complaint after the same driver denied me access on two different
occasions because she did not want to transport my Seeing Eye dog.

Both incidents occurred last summer. After the first occurrence, I contacted
the company, and I was assured that the driver would be dealt with and that
this would not happen again.

Well, when I was denied access for a second time, I contacted a supervisor
with Yellow Cab. I told him the driver's behavior was unacceptable. I
explained that the driver denied me service on a previous occasion and that
I did not believe the company was doing enough to provide training and to
reinforce that it is against the law to refuse to allow service animals in
vehicles used for public transportation.

I was told that when I book my rides, I need to let the company know that I
have a dog and so forth, and I responded that this was an unacceptable
solution.

I then wrote a detailed letter to the human Relations Commission, and the
agency agreed to pursue my complaint against Yellow Cab.

A couple of weeks ago, I learned that yellow Cab admitted that the company
was in the wrong and that the drivers would receive more training.

I requested and obtained copies of the training materials.

I received them in hard copy form, so I will need to scan them and then send
them to Marion.

I hope everyone has a good week.

Liz