[nagdu] guide dogs in hotels

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 18:03:30 UTC 2014

Most of my travel is for work for various agencies.  Quite a bit of the
time, I am not the person making the reservations.  With agencies that
understand blindness or that I have worked with a lot, they do not announce
the guide dog.  However there is one agency that I work with that has
difficulty with understanding that it isn't helpful to give advance notice
about the dog.  I've explained and it's still an issue.  I've never been
denied a hotel stay, but I can say for sure there are more questions and
commentary about the dog when I'm attending functions sponsored by this
particular agency.  I get that they are trying to be helpful, but help is
only helpful if it actually helps.   It's just an inconvenience, assuring
them that I don't need anything special, that the dog is fine, that I'm
fine, that I'm not going to injure myself or get lost in the hotel room or
any number of other dreamt up scenarios.

Julie