[nagdu] guide dogs in hotels

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Dec 10 04:38:23 UTC 2014

	I am replying to the first email in this thread, but I have read the
entire thread. I am going to give my opinion on the topics discussed here.
Feel free to disagree with them, but please do not tell me that they are
wrong.
	Whether or not you tell the hotel about your dog in advance is a
personal choice. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does not. Sometimes, if
a hotel is going to give you problems, they will start as soon as they know,
and you might be able to get things straightened out before you arrive. On
the other hand, they may not say anything until you arrive. In any case, try
to find out if anyone else with a guide dog has had trouble with that
particular hotel. If a hotel has a reputation for being problematic and you
do not feel like having to fight for your rights, then, if possible, stay
somewhere else. Yes, we need to stand up for our rights, but some people
just cannot be changed. If it was a hotel that did not accept pets, I would
not tell them in advance, but, if it was a hotel that accepted pets, I would
tell them in advance. Here is why. Okay, no, not everyone knows/agrees with
the whole thing about allergies, but let's just pretend that they do. This
applies in a hotel that does not accept pets. So what about a hotel that
does accept pets? In such a hotel, they have rooms that are designated as
pet rooms. If someone who is allergic comes to a hotel that accepts pets,
that person will probably ask for a room that is not a designated pet room.
If someone with a service dog stays in one of the rooms that is not a
designated pet room, then it defeats the whole purpose of having pet rooms
and non-pet rooms. Of course, there would be exceptions. If a particular
type of room was not available as a pet room, regardless of whether it was
something in the room-such as the bed-or the type of room-such as an
adjoining room or a penthouse-and whether or not their was a different
price, I would insist on staying in the type of room requested. I also do
not think that we should have to put up with a pet room that has been
damaged by some previous pet occupant. If there was only one room pet room
left because it is a room that no one wants, then I would insist on being
put in a different room.
	What you do with the dog in a hotel room at night is up to you.
Sometimes, you can just do whatever you do at home. However, if you do not
use a crate or tie down at home but are worried that your dog might get into
trouble, then you may wish to do something different. Whatever you do, make
sure that your dog is used to it before you go on the trip. If you use a tie
down, then you may want to use an actual tie down or a leash other than the
working leash as some dogs will chew on tie downs, particularly if they are
stressed or not used to being on tie down. I would bring a towel or blanket
for the dog, particularly if you have trained your dog to stay on one at
home. That way, when you are in the room, your dog kind of has a place to
go.
	I agree with not letting your dog on the bed, particularly if the
bed covers are white and/or it is a hotel that does accept pets. No, our
dogs usually do not leave anything that cannot be washed or vacuumed off,
but, as has already been said, some people will just find any excuse... If
it is a hotel that accepts pets, then maybe, but I would still put a towel
or blanket over the bed.

Nicole