[nagdu] Teaching Relieving was RE: trouble with relieving

Vivianna irishana at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:03:42 UTC 2014

I, personally want my dog to be able to relieve wherever i ask her to go.  so, that would include, grass, concrete, off a curb, in a parking lot, on gravel, etc.  i believe it’s the signals that you give your dog that should tell them that it is all right to relieve.  this would include, stop, remove the harness, maybe get out a baggy and rustle it in the hand,  perhaps encouraging the dog with something verbal,  and, offering the dog a place to go that would be recognized as a relieving area.
i have only been to pilot for my current dog but, i never heard any talk about relieving and, i saw accidents in the hallways and rooms.  there is no relief schedule, there is no hands on picking up after your dog.  as a first time guide dog handler this would be really helpful.  those folks have absolutely no idea so, when they get home, they do not pick up after their dogs.  i have seen a graduate of my class who lives in the same city as me let her dog relieve, on several occasions, in harness and, in people’s front yards, never once picking it up.
folks choose to go to a school for various reasons.  but, it’s well worth it to research in order that you will know what you are getting yourself into.  it should not be all about getting a dog, any dog, from any school, no matter what, just because you want one right now!  there are many things that pilot does not teach.  if you have already had guides and, you know how to work with this, then, by all means, go for it.  but, who will teach you, when you get home?  who will show you how to pick up after your dog?  who will show you how to train for overheads?  who will teach you about traffic checks?  etc etc.
you may recall that john, himself, told all here that his dog ran 3 up curbs on his very first walk.  this is really not acceptable.  did he trip?  did he fall?  that’s because, pilot does not train the dogs to stop at the up curb.  yes, i was shocked.  they train for a pause not a stop.
one of the most difficult things that i had to train my dog was the, stay, command.  this is an important command and one of the most difficult.  it’s harder to teach the dog stay than it is to train it to stop, full stop, at an up curb.
i know that i am probably preaching to the choir here
i also know there are other pilot grads here who will tell you the same thing.
my dog is a great guide now but, if she was my first and, i had no idea what to expect or how to work with her, i am certain things would be very different.
this will be my last post on the training methods of pilot as, i fear i may be getting myself in troubles.
some will say that i am bashing the school from which i got my own dog.  however, it’s not really bashing, it’s just stating the facts.
would i go back there for another dog?  yes, no doubt about it.
but, i know what to expect and i can work with it, no problems.

Vivianna