[nagdu] Blind Vet has guide dog banned from hospital

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun Dec 14 15:00:39 UTC 2014

As usual, there’s more to this story in general, not specifically Mr. Easton’s case, than the reporter bothered to learn.

The VA does have a document that states it can ban service animals from certain places in medical facilities, particularly “operators” which include such treatment rooms as dental and other rooms where minor surgeries take place.

We are all probably shaking our heads at this one as the number of times we’ve taken our dogs with us into a dental treatment room defies counting. Here’s the issue. With the proliference of service dogs, especially to treat conditions like PTSD and social anxiety, some veterans insist that their smaller dogs sit in their laps during treatment. this poses an issue for any staff having to do said treatment.

Requiring the dog to remain on the floor or otherwise out of the way of personnel during treatment is a simple solution but then, as one of our service dog grads discovered, it’s not that simple.

She was told her dog, who had previously been accompanying her to an acupuncture clinic within the VA property, was no longer allowed in the treatment area with her. She’d been bringing a tie down chain and securing the dog to a chair where the dog maintained a down/stay during her procedure.

Turns out someone else’s service dog was not so well controlled and roamed around the room then ate one of the disgraced acupuncture needles, leading to extensive veterinary costs.

it also turns out that the acupuncture service was being provided by a third party contracted by the VA and there was massive confusion as to whether or not the VA even had authority to regulate the staff of said entity.

It finally did get settled and she is allowed to bring her dog back into the exam room but no one is happy and the relaxing benefits of the therapy are gone for her.

Just as many of us feel that the state-run rehabilitation system can be punitive if we complain, veterans have the same issue with the VA so many don’t say anything. Some appointments take months to get also.

There is an NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) out there for comment though and it includes a section about such access. Sorry but the link is on my work computer. I’ll send it along though.

This is an issue we deal with a lot at GDF/AVD (America’s VetDogs).
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems