[nagdu] Picking up things from the ground

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 17 15:18:42 UTC 2014

hi, Lisa,
Oh, how I can sympathize!  Jenny has also been a scavenger, though admittedly it has gotten so much better, particularly in the last six months.

A few things here:
1) this might never EVER go away completely, but the rules in my house are these:
a. if we're on a long leash (which for me is still short enough to pull her back) or at an off-leash park, she is to obey the "Leave it!" command. If she does drop whatever she has gotten, she is permitted to run and frolic and generally be a happy dog until it's time to go home.  If she does not obey the leave it command, or continues to scavenge, the leash goes back on, and fun is OVER, period.
b. If she is doing this in harness, it gets taken away from her, she gets a scolding, and if we're in a place I know well, I drop the harness handle and double up the leash so short that she can't dip her head down.  If that's not possible, then I have something in my purse...

2. I keep a Halti in my purse.  I don't know if Germany sells these, but they are basically small head collars.  The Halti clips behind Jenn's ears. There's a ring that goes over her nose with straps that go over her cheeks.  Her leash is clipped to a small ring about 2 inches under her chin, and another clip attaches to her collar.  When I first got this, I used it constantly, then gradually reduced its use, until now it just stays in my purse for either really REALLY bad days or a day where she's in a high-stimulating environment such as a vet's office or pet store where she is likely to dip her head and sniff EVERYTHING.  It took a lot of work to get here, but we're making it :)

3. Play the "Leave It" game at home.  You mentioned when your big boy first arrived that he would take stuff and chew it, so use this to your advantage to continue to reinforce that taking things is NOT OK.  I have done more redirection than corrections, just because of who Jenny is... for us, using treats as a reward for leaving whatever it is on the ground has been counterproductive, so praise has gone a LONG way to showing her that leaving the apple or popcorn (her weaknesses) on the ground is going to make me happy.

The scavenging is a tough one, because it often reinforces itself: doggie picks up something, it tastes good! Even if doggie gets sick an hour later they don't always associate it with that pulled pork sandwich they picked up an hour ago.  Work hard, you can do it, it WILL get better... but you are right; you do have to deal with this, and quickly.

Feel free to write me offlist if you'd like to ask any question.

Good luck!

Daryl