[nagdu] Countdown to NYC - 5 days!

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Dec 22 18:32:48 UTC 2014

Debby,

I've spent a lot of time in off-leash dog parks and wish we had one
here. We have a yard for the dogs to run, but for socialization, there's
only a multi-use park just outside the city limits. It's a nice park,
but more scavenging hazards for sure.

I like to scope out a park first to get a feel for the culture there,
and I also listen to Mitzi. If she's not comfortable, we don't go in. I
listen to the people more than the dogs, since they are a good indicator
of how their dogs will behave. In my own orientation to the space and
obstacles, I can also be checking for dangers. In a decent park, there
won't be that many for the dog. It's real hazardous for a blind person
unless one is willing to pay attention and can stay oriented in large
open spaces where there is a lot going on. I can't bring myself to just
sit while my dog plays, and she tends to just hang around with me while
I sit anyway, so I've learned to navigate and stay safe for the most part.

My dog is trained for off leash parks and well socialized, so that
helps. She's helping teach Loki, although with my paying attention to
him more, she goes off the rails now and then. Also, I think her hearing
may be less sensitive. I'm used to muttering a command and getting an
instant result. When that doesn't happen, I panic, so I've been
panicking a lot. I'm remembering to give her commands loudly, and I do
want to do some refresher training with her without the pup when the
weather improves. Her early socialization and her off leash training are
our biggest safety factor.

I don't know anything about dog parks or the dog park culture in NYC. If
it were me going, I would feel more comfortable if I knew someone who
knew the park so I could get a feel for it. Don't know if that will work
for you, Daryl. If it's a park where people are good with their own dogs
and police themselves for poop pick up and looking out for other safety
risks, that's a plus.

Have fun!

Tami