[nagdu] Retired Guides; Do the same access laws apply?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 22:21:20 UTC 2014

The factors that make a dog a service dog are:
*is the dog individually trained to mitigate a disability?
a retired guide is still trained to do specific tasks.  If the training is
kept up and the dog can reliably perform disability related tasks, then this
item is met.
*does the handler have a disability?
the answer here is yes
*does the dog perform tasks that mitigate the handler's disability?
the answer here is maybe.   If you still work the dog sometimes or alternate
between dogs, then I'd say both are service dogs.  If you never work the
dog, then he's not mitigating your disability and is no longer a service
dog.

HTH
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com