[nagdu] Bad weather and class

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:19:14 UTC 2014

I'm not sure if a school would teach a dog to guide over a snow bank,
especially if they can't see what's on the other side. The snow bank
is an obstacle like any other, and yes, it's important to get your
butts out of the road, but since it's considered an obstacle, the
instinct seems to be to stop and try to find a way around it.
Unfortunately, that's just not possible some times. What I do is cross
the road, and when we get right up to the snow bank, I drop the
harness handle and heel him up and over.
The difficult thing about teaching snow-coping skills to a dog is you
can't do this unless the snow is there. Too, just because a dog is
trained to deal with winter in one place doesn't mean it will be ready
to handle winter in another place.
For instance, my golden was trained during winter in NY. As I said
earlier, the snow there at that time was nothing like the snow is here
consistently, so he was not prepared. Really, I think it's up to the
handler and their particular situation, and if they can't quite manage
to teach their dog how to guide in winter conditions, hopefully
someone from their school can give them some tips or come do a home
visit.

--
Raven