[nagdu] introduction and guide doog school recommendation

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Fri Feb 21 02:01:26 UTC 2014

What the guide dog schools want to know is that you can get around safely
and that you are not just going to sit around and do nothing all day. Most
schools do in an home interview or have you send in a video. They have
requirements for the routes, such as it has to include stop light
intersections and stop sign intersections.
At GDB, the routes are not too long. If you needed to, you could probably
write it down or something. Once you start going alone, there are usually
trainers posted along the route; they are mostly there to try to distract
your dog to give you practice with getting your dog to focus, but they will
also help you if you need it.
As long as you do well most of the time, they will pitch in and help when
needed. I usually did rather well with listening to the traffic; however,
one day it was so hot that Lexia was dancing in place while we were waiting
to cross the street, so one of the trainers just told me when it was safe to
cross.