[nagdu] introduction and guide dog school recommendation

Daniel Sweeney daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 21 16:56:45 UTC 2014

Hi John,

It sounds like going to school and church are doing everyday things to me.
Throw in a trip to the store or a coffee shop, add a walk around the park or
around the neighborhood and why would you not need a guide dog unless you
value your quiet time. That is the thing to keep in mind. Having a dog will
require a lot of attention other than just getting out and walking. You need
to get up and feed him or her, relieve him or her at least 4 to 5 times a
day come rain or shine. You need to brush the coat, brush the teeth, clean
the ears, keep an eye on the nails and above all take the time to play a
little when you are not working with him or her.
In my case it is a full time job  having my girl and I do not work. I
volunteer once a week. I go to the grocery store, Target, coffee shop and
always walk to the Starbuck's and walk around the park. I occasionally take
classes, although only on a part-time basis.
I find myself thinking I need to get the girl out for a walk because I don't
think I have done enough, but it also gets me out for my exercise, which I
need being on disability.
I find myself feeling guilty if I take quiet time for myself which is
stupid, but it happens.
Having a dog will change your life.
All it takes to have a dog is being able to get him or her out at least a
mile or two a day, and that isn't much, and you will find yourself wanting
to do more.
What you WILL gain is a loving companion who will adore you and look to you
for everything. This animal will be your left hand 24 hours a day 365 days a
year and after a few months you will wonder how you ever lived without him
or her.
The decision is more than whether you want or need a guide dog, it is if you
are ready for a life changing experience, one that will open up all kinds of
possibilities for you.
If you are able to travel well with a cane you can travel well with a dog.
I would be happy to talk to you about pro's and con's more off list if you
would like, just email me.
Sincerely,
Daniel and Cass
Lakewood, Colorado

Pilot,
> Leader, GDF, GDA, and so on. While all of those schools have their
> advantages and upsides, I can think of pitfalls for all of those programs.
> The bottom line: you need to decide on the school that sounds or seems
> perfect to you. How do you do that? Consider what factors are important to
> you. But wait, this is your first guide dog, so maybe you don't know what
> those factors are yet. That's fine. Here are some factors for you to
> consider and research.
> location of program, ownership policy, dog training methods used, length
of
> formal guide training, average age of dogs issued, dog breeds offered,
> length of student training, in-home training offered, special needs
training
> program offered, graduation ceremony, puppy-raiser contact, veterinary
> assistance fund offered That is not an exhaustive list by any means. I'm
> certain others will contribute. But those are some of the more important
> factors when considering a guide dog school.
> I personally chose Guiding Eyes because I needed the financial assistance
> with veterinary costs at the time, and I felt it important to receive a
dog
> that was trained in New York. Also, I wanted an adult dog, specifically a
> golden retriever. GEB was perfectly able to satisfy my requirements.
> The same things might not matter to you. You might not care which breed
> you
> get, or how young your first guide dog is. You might want ownership upon
> graduation. Or, you might need in-home training for your circumstance.
It's
> up to you to research what each school offers, and as you find things you
> like, write them down and try to find a school that has those things.
That's