[nagdu] Doggie excitement?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 04:42:14 UTC 2014

Barb and Jewel are right on with the positive reinforcement and
negative punishment.
Also, there is a difference for some dogs between working on meeting
people in general, and encountering or returning to people the dog
recognizes. For instance, the Golden Guy is very calm and laid-back
when encountering and interacting with most strangers and
acquaintances in harness. However, he loves my roommate, and becomes
very excited if he sees her while we're out and about. looking back or
off to the side at her and pulling toward her. I do not allow this.
But rather than physically correcting him, we stop working right quick
and do a mini obedience routine. I drop the harness and get him to
focus on me. I call his name, or offer my fist and give the "touch"
cue. When I've got him, I ask for a sit or a down. Or, I move my hand
around while giving the touch cue, so he has to focus on me to locate
my hand and receive physical and verbal praise. Of course, when our
relationship was newer, I totally used treats for these situations.
Sometimes, we can't stop. And in these instances, I simply talk him
through it. If he continues looking at or pulling toward my roommate,
I direct him with the leash or verbally whether it's "forward" or
"left."
It would be hard to set up practice sessions for this behavior unless
Jenny is excited every time your husband approaches whether you're at
home or not. I'm guessing that she doesn't get so excited unless you
or your husband are returning and she hasn't seen him for a while.
That's how it works with the Golden Guy anyway.
The key here is to take advantage of the moment. And when the occasion
arises, teach Jenny what you want her to do when she's in harness and
sees your husband. What can she do that will yield a reward? Leave it?
Sit?

On 2/26/14, Larry D. Keeler <lkeeler at comcast.net> wrote:
> I always just give Holly a couple of stern corrections and hold the harrness
>
> very tight. Holly does this with both of the kids. But, I'm big enough that
>
> if I don't want Holly to go anywhere, she won't!

Raven