[nagdu] ADA definition of service animals

Bridget Walker bridgetawalker13 at aol.com
Fri Jan 3 02:57:21 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I think that sums it up.
I have a question.
I know there are medical alert dogs trained for disorders such as epilepsy, diabetes, and other major health disorders which impact an individuals daily life.
So if an individual trains specifically their pet to be a medical alert dog and a therapy dog yes two different types of dogs do you believe that dog is a service dog under the ADA?
I know for a fact therapy dogs are dogs who provide comfort so, they do not fit the criteria. How can a dog be both?
It is like me saying my guide is a medical alert dog because he knows where my medication is in my bag. The true reality is my guide dog could not help me if I needed it. He can not administer the medication in fact the only reason he knows where it is is for when I don't remember.
I keep asking this question and I will keep on it until it is spelt out and clear. I am wondering who is it that determines if a dog can be a working dog if the dog does not have an official dog trainer? What I mean is if a fifteen year old trains a medical alert dog can they say it is a service  dog without any clear cut testing?
If someone has a dog who was originally certified as a therapy dog can they train the dog to do a task which is covered under the ADA?
There are way to many gray areas which I can not believe.
It seems like every time I go out I run in to someone passing off their dog as some type of service  dog.  I went to the pharmacy the other day and some person had a little dog on a leash. No harness or vest nothing saying the dog was assisting them in any way.  Then the person behind the counter was trying to understand how could one dog be clearly marked as a guide dog but, who knows why the other dog was needed.
That's my rant for the day.
Best,
Bridget

Sent from my iPad