[nagdu] Navigating Ice

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 07:12:48 UTC 2014

Hi,
Your dog will slow down if you do. Stop giving in and allowing your
dog to set the pace. We've had a few days in Grand Rapids already
where the sidewalk in the morning was  literally an ice rink. The
Golden Guy thought we could power down the sidewalk as normal, and
there was no way on this planet we were walking that fast. I told him
"steady," and walked slower. He slowed down immediately.
If you don't slow down on ice, your dog will not learn to.

On 1/4/14, Aleeha Dudley <blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> what will happen happen, I don't fall nearly as hard or as often. I
> wear a good set of boots and Dallas won't wear his because he
> literally will stop working in the middle of the sidewalk. He has
> learned, after a couple of close calls, to slow down when he sees ice
> or feels me slip.
> Hope this helps,
> Aleeha
>
> On 1/4/14, Tami Jarvis <tami at poodlemutt.com> wrote:
>> Jessica,
>>
>> This is our second year of dealing with ice, too. I have the same sort
>> of nervousness, which also causes me to make things worse for both of
>> us. I got some nice walking boots with good tread this year, which has
>> helped cut down on the slipping and sliding. I still find it hard to
>> keep to a balanced walk, though, and in a lot of places, like parking
>> lots, I'm freaked out about whatever else may be slipping and sliding
>> around... And I feel blind in a winter hat because of what it does to my
>> echolocation and stuff. Ridiculous! /lol/
>>
>> Mitzi doesn't like to slow down, either, but I have noticed that she
>> takes an interesting approach to ice and to the wind that likes to blow
>> her around in these parts. She still wants to move faster than I do, but
>> she also does a sort of zigzag dance that actually helps me stay
>> balanced and cuts down on slipping for me. If I can get a grip on myself
>> and go with her, walking is much easier. I'm working on it.
>>
>> The tension in the harness handle can also help me balance, and the one
>> time I started to take an *ss over teakettle slip, she pulled me
>> upright. Whew! But she's only 54 pounds, and most of that is leg, so I
>> don't like the idea of putting that sort of physical strain on her.
>>
>> Part of our yard turns into an ice sheet this time of year, so that
>> gives me a place to practice walking on that kind of surface without the
>> dog so I can find my own balance. I keep my weight more forward than
>> under normal conditions, which helps. If I remember to adjust that
>> posture to how I walk with the guide dog, I seem to be more stable and
>> can build confidence slowly.
>>
>> To make up for being such a nervous nellie, I give Mitzi lots of extra
>> praise and reward, too. It's not her fault I'm a dolt. /lol/
>>
>> Don't know if that helps, but that's what I've learned so far. When I
>> can't avoid the ice and wind, of course. That's still my favorite method
>> of dealing with it. /grin/
>>
>> Tami
>>
>> On 01/04/2014 03:38 PM, Jessica Diaz PC wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> The subject says it all. This winter is my second living here. It is the
>>> first time I have seen or walked on ice. It is scary. More than that,
>>> can
>>> someone provide things I can do to help Saunders? He won't slow no
>>> matter
>>> what I try and constantly bounces on his feet which I am sure mean
>>> cold. He won't ware his boots for anything so is there something I can
>>> use
>>> to make his feet feel better? I know slow is the key and I try but I
>>> think
>>> my nervousness doesn't help the situation. It sounds stupid but it is a
>>> foreign thing to me. Thanks so much for all the help.
>>>
>>> Jessica Diaz

>>> nagdu:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/tami%40poodlemutt.com

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/blindcowgirl1993%40gmail.com