[nagdu] Navigating Ice

Daniel Sweeney daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 5 16:39:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

Start feeling stress-free on the ice with a pair of "trax". You can get them
from just about any sporting good store like Dick's or REI. If you can wait
a day or so, order from Amazon and get a better deal. They can range from
around $20 to $30 per pair. I have 2 pair in case I lose one or if I wear a
pair out like I did last year.
They are like putting traction on your shoes. I used to be terrified of
walking on the ice because I fell every time I turned around . Rather than
trying to get the dog to slow down to a pace she could not manage with the
cold and ice affecting her, now I can walk to keep up with her without the
fear of falling on the ice. They have small metal coils that dig in to the
ice to give you the stability you need and you feel much more confident and
will not be slipping and sliding.
For the dog, if the boots will not work try the Musher's wax, or Musher's
Secret, also available on Amazon. Apply this to the dog's paws to protect
them from ice and chemicals and salt or sand build-up.
Hope this helps, it certainly helped me make it through the Colorado winter.
Daniel and Cass