[nagdu] Too much Sniffing

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jan 16 12:21:07 UTC 2014

Hi Darla.
I have had the same problem all the years I've had Ben.  His chain collar is
not really the ideal size for him, so it sits on his shoulders more than his
neck, and he laughs at my attempts to correct him.
The only thing that really works is the pinch collar.  I don't like it, so I
only put it on when he's getting really out of hand, but it gets his
attention.
I tried the GL, but it slowed Ben down, and didn't do a thing to stop his
sniffing.  He is less sniffy when he's trotting along at a sharp pace.
However, if you like the GL, you can use it, whether or not GDA does.

A friend suggested I give Ben a treat at the end of every block, so he would
think about that and not dally.  Or to teach him a counter-command, like,
when he starts sniffing, to tell him to touch my hand and give him a treat.
I did not try either of these methods, though they may work.  I wouldn't put
it past Ben to sniff just so he can get the counter-command and get a treat.
That's a pretty short chain, and he's definitely smart enough to work it
out.
Good luck.
Tracy