[nagdu] Fwd: Starting with clicker training?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jul 9 00:39:06 UTC 2014

Vivianna,

There are ways to inappropriately use clicker, just like you can
inappropriately give leash corrections.  If a dog won't work unless there is
food on offer, it has not been appropriately trained.  My current guide,
Monty, likes food a lot.   He was clicker trained, for the most part. He
does not scrounge, steal food or act inappropriately around food.  If you
give him food, he will certainly take it, but he will not take what isn't
his.

Also I think there is some confusion about clicker training.  I've been
working Monty for 5 plus years now.  I honestly can't remember the last time
I used or even took the clicker with me on one of our regular errands or
walks to work.  It has been years since the clicker was a regular part of
our equipment.  I get it out if I'm teaching something new or if I need to
brush up on a problem area, but I'm not clicking and treating all day every
day.  That's silly.  He's trained.  I don't need to keep reinforcing those
skills.  I think that's how the no work no food problem might be coming up.
There is definitely a point when you need to phase out the clicker and
treats.  I think folks are misunderstanding that part.

Julie