[nagdu] Vaccinations

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jul 9 04:39:26 UTC 2014

Ashley,

I do rabies only, because rabies is so catastrophic. The odds of our
dogs contracting rabies here are small, but... Better safe than sorry on
that one, at least in my opinion.

For young pups, I do some but not all of the 8, 12 and 16 week shots,
and I just blanked on exactly which ones. Distemper and parvo, I think
are the ones I stick with, again because those diseases are
catastrophic. I need to figure it out before next week. I just talked to
my vet niece about that, and she mentioned distemper as one she
considers a must. We didn't talk parvo.

For me, it's a question of weighing the odds of problems from the
vaccines over the odds of getting the disease in question and the
consequences if the dog does get the disease. I don't want to
over-vaccinate and want to be as minimalist as possible, but rabies at
least is a must for me.

Tami