[nagdu] Need advice on dog retirement planning

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Fri Jul 18 00:34:30 UTC 2014

Hi Alysha,
I have had to retire my first guide dog due to seizures and health
concerns at a relatively young age. I wondered if was doing the right
thing because she still seemed to want to work.  However, the GDF
expressed concern for not only my safety but also Destiny's if she was
to have another seizure.  So I made the painful decision that you are
facing even though she probably could have worked longer if it was not
for health and safety reasons.

Unfortunately, I just completed an internship and am looking for a job
and my parents are elderly.  I would love to keep Destiny once I receive
a new successor dog but it is not possible at this time.

I feel your pain as you contemplate you options and what is best Hammer
and you in the future.
Janice