[nagdu] Probiotics, was Canidae

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 17:01:23 UTC 2014

Because antibiotics prevent bacteria from reproducing rather than
killing them outright, any probiotics given to a dog while on
antibiotics will still function. The bacteria can assist in digestion
for as long as they survive inside the dog. Because they can't
reproduce while in the presence of antibiotics, probiotics need to be
given regularly. Once antibiotics are stopped, probiotics should
continue to be given for a certain length of time to reestablish the
microflora inside of the dogs digestive tract.
Hope this makes sense.
Danielle

On 7/26/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Where did you get this information? According to
> http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03052/Probiotics.html, you are supposed to
> start probiotics as soon as you start antibiotics. If you wait till the
> antibiotics are done, things can be pretty messed up by then, especially if
> it is a stronger antibiotic and/or a longer time period.
>
> Nicole

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/sherrill.obrien%40
>>> v