[nagdu] Natural Remedies

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:59:18 UTC 2014

Ladies,
There is research on and documented cases pertaining to an array of
natural modalities. If you look, you will certainly find it. The FDA
will not approve it because they will not make money from it. How can
they make money off of a healthy person who eats right and adds
nutritional herbs and botanicals to their food. They can't.
The side effects that many people suffer from when they venture into
botanical medicine or other natural modalities is actually detox
symptoms. People who are not educated about what they are doing and
simply do something because someone suggested it will not know what to
expect from their bodies. Just as doctors ought to educate patients
about what might happen when they take a certain medication, so should
anyone else offering medical advice whether it is natural or not,
especially if the person is certified in their field.
Anyhow, detox symptoms are often mistaken for allergies, side effects,
and bad reactions. What it happening is the body is eliminating toxins
through the skin, its largest organ, and sometimes through the
digestive or urinary system. To illustrate this better, let's consider
homeopathy. The rule of homeopathy is "like cures like." This means
using botanicals to treat the very reaction that they are able to
elicit. By doing this, it speeds the body's healing since the symptom
or sign of imbalance is provoked and drawn out of the body. Of course,
it is miserable when it happens, but pain and discomfort are a
necessary part of healing.
Also, this may come as a shock, but the studies that many people put
faith in concerning allopathic medicine are not as in-depth as they
would believe, especially when it comes to pet products. What often
happens is a medicine is given for a certain amount of time. Let's say
4 months. Scientists realize that after 4 months, the animals start
having bad reactions or just pass away. So they'll perform more
studies, but shorten them to 2 months or 3 months, just so the bad
reactions are rare or eliminated. Then they can say that side effects
are rare. Consumers believe it, but the researchers know that
reactions are only rare within a certain time period. So the side
effects that we know about for meds are usually not comprehensive or
all-inclusive. Money talks.
About side effects to natural medicine, of course it is possible to be
allergic to certain things. And in that case, there's something wrong
with the body in question, not the treatment. When your body starts
mistaking good things for bad things, the body has an imbalance that
needs fixing or accommodating.
Also, botanical medicine and other natural modalities do not involve
lengthy or excessive exposure to known poisons. Yes, there are some
natural substances that are dangerous in large or long term doses, and
in that case, limited exposure is used. Many times in naturopathy, the
rule is "less is more." On the other hand, people practicing and
subscribing to allopathic medicine seem to believe that more is most
effective. More pills, more antibiotics, more steroids, more medicine,
more vaccinations, more pesticides, more poison. So what if any of it
is known to cause liver damage, kidney failure, immune disease,
cancer, or neurotoxicity? All that matters is that you make the
symptoms stop.
Allopathic medicine is about stopping the symptoms rather than working
with the body to heal itself. Suppress the problem don't draw it out.
Prevent and treat sickness rather than promoting health. My problem is
not just the poisons, but the whole mindset. Scientifically proven
means nothing to me when you want to approach medicine in a way that
causes disease via exposure to toxin after toxin under the guise of
disease prevention, rather than working actively to prevent sickness
by promoting balance in the body. That is what health is. Not the
absence of disease, but the presence of balance and optimal bodily
function overall.
Whether you use naturopathy or allopathy, you should never just follow
anyone's advice. You should educate yourself and act based on your
conclusions. The health care of you and those in your care is your
responsibility and no one else's. In the age of information, there is
no excuse for ignorance. Too many people don't research what they are
putting into their own and their pets bodies, and they expect that
doctors or vets just know what's best because they have a degree, and
they could not be more far from the truth. Those people specialize in
marketing skills and customer satisfaction. They just need to know how
to pedal the meds, and give people what they want, which is something
to make the nastiness go away in most cases.
I was there. When I first got my dog, I believe that all the
professionals knew what they were talking about since they had been
doing this for x number of years and I was new to it all. Boy, was I
wrong! After my dog's minor health problems, I started researching,
and never stopped. I quickly learned that I had been lied to, and it
was no one's fault but my own. It was my choice to accept advice at
face value without researching it first. This is why I usually post
research whenever I spout off about one natural remedy or another.
Because I understand the value of educating yourself. I understand the
feeling that you were dooped and cheated by a person whose advice you
trusted. I understand the shame of realizing that it was your ow fault
for acting without questioning first.
I put this stuff out there for people to consider it, and to let
others know that there is always an alternative. Even to the dreaded
conventional heart worm treatment that people fear, there are
alternatives. Most people wouldn't think there is because they
subscribe to allopathy and worship it as if that very type of medicine
is not destroying lives with its supposed advances in medicine.
Naturopathy understands that there are always alternatives, and that
no 2 people will receive one treatment for the same issue.
Naturopathic medicine is tailored to the workings of each individuals
body in order to restore balance. Naturopathy, like positive
reinforcement training, is about starting with the least invasive
methods, then progressing to more invasive treatments if the previous
ones were ineffective.

On 7/27/14, Sherry Gomes via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I actually tend to agree with you Becky. I'
> I've stayed out of the conversation because I have strong feelings against
> natural remedies for humans, let alone pets. I was born with a juvenile
> rheumatoid arthritis. It's an auto immune disease. But as a child, I was
> bombarded by the well meaning but insensitive prattle of adults, telling me
> the things my parents should do to cure my arthritis. Finally, my parents
> had my doctors tell me the truth about my disease. I became a skeptic by
> necessity. as an adult, just for the heck of it, I tried a couple natural
> things, I think alfalfa tablets once and fish oil capsules once. Of course
> neither worked, because they can't fix an auto immune disease. Several
> years
> ago, someone actually told me if I followed a specific diet and used things
> like glucosamine, it would regenerate my damaged joints, even the
> artificial
> ones and the fused knee that doesn't have a real knee joint either. So, I
> approach natural remedies for dogs with the same innate skepticism. Now, I
> do live in Colorado, and we don't have to do flea treatments here, but I do
> give my dogs monthly heartworm preventative in the warm weather months, and
> I'm not worried about the possible consequences of it, because I'd rather
> do
> that than risk the dog getting heartworm, as the treatment for it is far
> more severe than the prevention. I hesitated a long time to give my old
> retired dog glucosamine, and though I do it, I'm not at all convinced it
> does anything for her either way, but she likes the edible pills, so I'm
> okay with her eating them.
>
> Sherry

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com