[nagdu] Dogs and Pet Birds

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Thu Jul 31 13:06:32 UTC 2014

Hi Alysha,
I personally do not have pet birds, but I completely understand how this is worrying you. About a year after getting my guide dog, I decided to get a pet rabbit, I had rabbits in the past and our pet dogs were usually pretty good with them. Pascal, liked to pester the rabbit, and the rabbit was scared of him. I rehomed the rabbit in a few days, I didn't want the bunny to be caged all the time due to Pascal trying to play with it. Pascal has always been well behaved around my cats and other small animals, it was just he liked to play rough with this particular bunny.
One thing I would suggest that may help you, is during your training with the new dog, try to visit pet stores during training. See if there will be stores in the area where you can sit with birds and let them and your dog explore each other. This way, if your dog seems really agitated or aggressive around the bird, you can discuss options with your trainer.
Hope this helps, best of luck!
Deanna and Pascal