[nagdu] Guide Dogs in Sweden

Leye-Shprintse Öberg via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 15:47:16 UTC 2014

BS'D

Hi,

I thought that I'd give you a brief introduction of how it works with guide dog over here in Sweden.

The majority of guide dogs are owned by the Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired's Guide Dog Authority.

The guide dogs are paid by tax money and are given to the owner without cost.

The owner are given a right of disposal to the dog.

The Guide Dog Authority pays the cost of veterinary care.

The owner gets around two weeks of training.

The owner gets the food which the Guide Dog Authority recomends cheaper.

Six to nine months after the giving of the dog the team has a aftercare visit.

The Guide Dog Authority gives the teams support all year round.

We don't have any other aftercare visits and we don't need to send in a 'bill of health' to the Guide Dog Authority yearly.

A first time guide dog owner gets invited to an information course before the guide dog instructors and owner-to-be discuss and decide if she/he'll be an owner.

A first time owner gets one week of training outside Stockholm and one week at home; the others get their training at home.

Blind persons in Sweden get their O and M from the Low Vision Centre and don't teach the NFB theories.

The Guide Dog Authority purchases the dogs from guide dog schools; sadly some of them don't want to sell their dogs to tem anymore.

Okay, something else? It isn't a dance on roses and I know that my next dog won't come from them and I'm not the only one. Enough said...

LeSholom,
Leye-Shprintse Öberg
leyeshprintse at ymail.com
http://leyeshprintse.com