[nagdu] Crosswalk light success!

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 5 14:10:57 UTC 2014

Hey!
Ever since training with Jenny, we have struggled with scrounging (I've posted about this).  One of her favorite scrounging/sniffing places is at the base of crosswalk light poles (where you push the button to change the light).  On a whim on Monday night, I got off the bus one stop early to do some work with her on finding these posts.  It wasn't pretty.
Me: Jenn, find the post.
Jenny (misses the post entirely and goes around the corner)
Me: Not quite, my  girl.  Let's try again.
We turn around, Jenny goes right past the post while I flail around trying to find it.
Rinse, lather, repeat.
Third time:
me: Jenny, find the post.
Jenny finds the post but starts scrounging.
Me: Good post, nose up.
We take the corner again, turn around.
Me: Jenny, find the post.
Jenny finds the post, her shoulders right below the button, her nose is up.
Me (throwing a fiesta): YAY!  Good girl!

Now for the past three days, every time I ask for a post, she has found it perfectly and kept her nose up!  Her tail wags even before I praise her, because she knows she's done good!

SO proud!

Still need a little work on scrounging in general, but this is SO good!

Hope this encourages those who are struggling with distractions or scrounging that it can be done.

Daryl