[nagdu] 7th-grader's service dog makes it into the school yearbook | KING5.com Seattle

Jimmy jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:46:43 UTC 2014

http://www.king5.com/news/editors-pick/7th-graders-service-dog-makes-it-into-the-school-yearbook-262003051.html

7th-grader's service dog makes it into the school yearbook

SAN ANTONIO -- For four years, Taxi has been by seventh-grader Rachel Benke's side in school, paving the way for possible future service dogs in the Northside Independent School District.

Rachel has had epileptic seizures since birth. After two brain surgeries when she was six, her mother said she showed improvement.

"Until then she was eating baby food. That day she had a whole box of mac and cheese," said mother Theresa Benke.

Four years ago they met Taxi, a half lab, half golden retriever. He was supposed to be a guide dog.

"We joke, saying he's a guide dog drop out. He did not make the guide dog program because he has a cat destruction problem," Benke said

It was a problem for the cats, but not for the Benkes. Rachel's mother said at first she didn't know if he'd be a good fit as a service dog for her daughter.

"We were very overwhelmed because of that time Rachel was afraid of animals," she said.

Then came time for them to meet.

"Next thing you know Rachel just hugged him and it was the cutest thing you've ever seen and I literally started crying and said there's my sign. They've been a team ever since," Benke said.

He goes everywhere with the soon-to-be eight-grader, including accepting awards at school, celebrating birthdays, and even on the school track where he one day sprung into action.

"Her aide was holding Taxi on the side and he just started pulling away from the aide as hard as he could trying to get to Rachel," Benke said.

She said once they got her inside, Rachel had a grand mal seizure, and Taxi wouldn't leave the girl's side.

"I don't know how Taxi new this, but he wouldn't let anyone near her until the paramedics arrived," said Benke.

Taxi made his way into their hearts, but they had eyes on the school yearbook.

"Last year, I joked about it when their yearbooks came out and I said 'hey where's Taxi's picture,'" said Benke.

But this year they made it happen.

Sent from the Iphone of
James Boehm
KustomCane