[nagdu] Putting toys away

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 12:00:41 UTC 2014

Minh,

I attempted to teach this.  Monty caught on really quickly and I had him
putting the toys back in the bin in only a few training sessions.  the big
problem, that I never sorted out, was how to get him to leave the toys in
the bin.    So I'd tell him to put his toy away.  He'd go drop that one in,
grab a different toy and continue playing.  I gave up.  *smile*

I do have a different toy question for everyone...have you ever heard of a
dog who quits playing with toys?  My husband had major surgery the beginning
of April.  When he came home I put all the dog toys away in the closet
because they were a serious hazard to my husband and his compromised
balance.   I got the toys back out just recently, and Monty isn't very
interested in them.  He used to be nuts about the toys.   He'll still play
fetch if I initiate it, but left to himself he completely ignores the toys.
It's very odd.

He knows the toys are for him.  I took some of them out and handed them to
him, so he'd know for certain he was free to take them.  He'd take them from
me, but then just drop them ten seconds later.   The toys have been out for
days with no change.

Thoughts?
Julie