[nagdu] dog food

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Jun 23 23:24:26 UTC 2014

Raven,

Are those ingredients lists for actual dog foods, and, if so, which ones?

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Raven Tolliver <ravend729 at gmail.com> wrote:

For those stuck in a dorm without access to a freezer, I recommend
feeding a freeze-dried or air-dried food.
My personal recommendations from most to least are:
canine Naturals Freeze-dried
Only Natural Pet Grain-Free MaxMeat Air Dried Dog Food
ZiwiPeak Daily Cuisine Grain-Free Air-Dried Dog Food
Stella & Chewy's Freeze-dried
Grandma Lucy's Freeze-dried
Sojos Freeze-dried
Look for these foods at
onlynaturalpet.com
chewy.com

The key is to choose foods with as little processing as possible.
Processing of any kind involves the removal of nutrients and the
addition of toxins including carcinogens and synthetic vitamins that
the body processes as foreign substances. If you feed a packaged food
that contains any added vitamins or minerals, that food is only adding
to the load of toxins your dog's body processes each day.
Here's a perfect example of a food with little processing.
Lamb meat, lamb bone, lamb blood, eggs, lamb green tripe, lamb liver,
broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, silver beet (spinach), cabbage, apples,
pears, lamb hearts, lamb kidneys and garlic.
That is a freeze-dried food, full of nutrients, and no synthetic
slurry, grains, or potatoes.
Here's an example of a food that is overprocessed:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Fish
Meal(source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed
Tocopherols), Peas, Whole Potatoes, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6
Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots,
Whole Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Barley Grass, Dried
Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine,
L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A
Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),
Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin
B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C),
Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate,
Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino
Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt,
Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces
cerevisiae),Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,
Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium
fermentation product.
That is a kibble, overcooked, and loaded down with synthetic, or fake\
nutrients. Why is it necessary to add all those supplements when the
wholesome ingredients already contains those things? Because the food
is cooked down to a flavorless, toxic soup devoid of nutrients.
You do not want to feed a food that your dog can just get by on, but a
food that is a preventative itself. If your dog gets ear infections,
regular urinary or digestive upset, or has a chronic health issue,
then chances are your dog is not eating the right food.
The only kibble I will ever recommend is called Great Life. Find it at
greatlife4pets.com. This kibble is different from others because it is
cooked at a far lower temperature than most, if not all, other
kibbles, and it is covered with freeze-dried powder containing
nutrients from freeze-dried meats and greens. This line of pet foods
also offers grain and potato free formulas.

> On 6/22/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> The first thing to remember is that every dog is different. Some dogs can
> eat literally *anything*, food or not, and still be fine where as other
> dogs
> need a certain type of dog food. Start by knowing what your dog needs. Any
> allergies? Then look at the different types of dog foods. Stay away from
> any
> foods that have a lot of filler, even if they are cheaper. With some dogs,
> what you attempt to save by buying cheaper dog food you will more than
> compensate for in vet bills from a sick dog. Consider the main source of
> protein in the dog food. Most dogs do fine with the regular lamb and/or
> chicken, but others need the duck or, so I have heard, rabbit. One dog of
> whom I know, who was allergic to almost everything, had soy dog food at one
> point. Most foods also have some kind of grain or other carbohydrate, such
> as rice, oatmeal, or potato. All of these are fine as long as your dog is
> not allergic to grain. Make sure that the food has some source of fiber.
> Different dogs need different amounts of fiber. If you cannot find the
> right
> balance of fiber and protein, you may end up doing what I do, which is
> feeding two different foods. Finally, beware of too much fat. Some dogs are
> not bothered by it, but others are. Low fat content was the main driving
> factor in finding the food that Lexia currently eats as she had
> pancreatitis
> twice. If a food advertises having some benefit, such as better coat, make
> sure that whatever that is does not mean some other drawback, such as more
> fat; I think that that was what happened with the food that Lexia ate
> before
> this one. Finally, foods sometimes change, so stay on the look out. Your
> dog
> will let you know if the food is not working. Some signs include:
> 1. A lethargic dog
> 2. Soft or hard stool
> 3. Difficulty defecating
> 4. Defecating often and/or a large amount
> 5. dog won't eat (definitely a sign of a problem if you have a Labrador)
> 6. An upset stomach or other health problems
> I feed Lexia Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice Healthy Weight Adult Dog
> Food
> for breakfast and dinner. If you are interested, I can also tell you what I
> feed her for lunch and treats. The Blue Buffalo costs about $30.00 online
> for a fifteen pound bag, but it is usually possible to get some sort of
> discount and/or free delivery. Let me know if you have any other questions.
> If you ever want to email me off list, my email is
> ntorcolini at wavecable.com.
>
> Nicole and the happy, healthy Lexia

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com