[nagdu] preparing for my first guide dog

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Jun 25 00:25:10 UTC 2014

Raven,

	I kind of had to chuckle at your comment about not being too crazy
about dogs before getting your guide dog and now working with them. Animals
tend to have a way of winning our affection. I know several people who were
okay with but not crazy about dogs. After meeting and spending time with
Lexia, they came to like dogs more. However, I should also note that most of
them commented on how well behaved Lexia was, so it was probably that they
did not care for misbehaved dogs rather than not caring for dogs in general.

Did the school that you attended do Juno walks? Before receiving Lexia, I
had worked with a guide dog for a very short walk at a program that I
attended as well as going to the extended evaluation where we worked dogs.
In addition, they did Juno walks both at the home interview and before
receiving our dogs during class. Finally, did you get time in a familiar
area with your dog? Luckily, Lexia and I lived at home for about the first
ten months, so it was easier for me to know if she was misbehaving.

Nicole