[nagdu] old member returning!

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 01:09:57 UTC 2014

Hello, y'all,
my name is Rox'E, and I live in New Orleans.  I was a member of this list for quite some time but had to go nomail because I spent the last year working in both New York and New Orleans and the rest of the time in airports so I had to cut way back on list mail.
In August of 2013, I lost my 16 yearold retired guide Bristol to acute onset kidney failure.  In October Laveau my working guide was diagnosed with early onset kidney disease.  We believe both Laveau's and Bristol's kidney issue stem from the chicken jerky treats they were eating.  These treats were made in China and the FDA has issued several warnings about them.  I didn't know the treats were made in China as the label said made in the US.
Laveau is eating a kidney friendly modified raw diet and is doing well— however... She does tire quite easily and my vet advised me to start the search for a new candidate— I'm an owner trainer.
Enter Soleil, a 3 year old yellow lab who was rescued from a backyard breeding situation by my vet.  She was the one being bred.  She is in her 5th month of training and is wonderful.  She loves working, and is making amazing progress, and yes, she has been spayed! No more puppies for her! As she works more, Laveau works less and eventally will be full retired.
I am Deafblind, with vertigo and balance problems, so my dogs do more than guiding tasks and Soleil is making progress on hearing and mobility tasks, but for now, we are mainly focusing on the guiding.
I'm glad to be back on the list, and hope to hear all about what has been happening in NAGDU land while I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off!
Best,

Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
“America has only three cities:  New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is Cleveland.” –Tennessee Williams
pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone