[nagdu] Question about fenced in yards

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:07:19 UTC 2014

It seems to me that the Canadian guide dog schools do far more work
and training with off leash recalls than the American programs do. I'm
not even sure if any of the American programs focus on it. But I've
heard from several of my Canadian friends who use dogs that the
schools set aside time to work on off-leash recalls.
Yes, have a fence put in, or find a place that is fenced in for
playtime, or find a safer area altogether for play and free-running.
No matter what, work on the off-leash recall.
Personally, during the first month and a half of being home with my
dog, I focused heavily on making sure his basic obedience was rock
solid. We worked on ignoring food and other people, extended stays,
and off leash obedience and recall. And it's a good thing I did. You
don't ever expect things to happen, but they do. Your dog might slip
out the door, you might drop your leash, or, like mine, your dog might
even jump a fence. It's good training for both dog and handler because
it teaches you both how to react in the instance of separation. Many
people are prone to screaming their dog's name in panic or an angry
voice. Then they wonder why their dog doesn't come to them, or takes
forever to do so. It's important to work on the off-leash recall, and
teach your dog to respond promptly and consistently. It's comforting
to me to know that the sound of my snapping fingers brings my dog to
me in an instant.

Raven