[nagdu] Law Regarding Attacks on Service Dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Mar 23 16:41:12 UTC 2014

Karyn and Danielle,

Good to see you back here, Karyn!

Danielle, the Kentucky access law can be found at
http://nagdu.org/laws/usa/kentucky.txt.

I think it's good to consider the environment and figure out how to deal
with it ahead of time. I recently moved back to a rural area, in a small
town, and I grew up out in farm/ranch country, so I know what you mean
about loose dogs and neighbors. Since you know your neighbors and their
dogs, your plan to talk to them is probably the best one. I'm assuming
GEB is aware of the situation and taking that into account in finding a
match for you.

My own approach is similar to what Karyn describes, of being relaxed and
confident myself while encouraging my dog to be the same around other
dogs and the humans with them. If the dog is unattended, I take my cue
from my own dog, since I have taught her to be confident and to let me
know what she thinks. Sometimes she thinks it would be fun to take a
break to play, which is annoying. /smile/ But when that happens, I can
get her back on track without worrying about the other dog. If she's
distracted by it, it is a friendly. If it seems iffy or unfriendly to
her, she treats it as a moving obstacle and takes evasive action if she
can. If there's not a good way around, she hustles us past or lets me
know it may be time to take our defensive stance. Even then, I stay calm
and confident and encourage her to. My philosophy is that if it is a
scary predator, I do not want to let on that I am prey!

Here, where the loose dogs and the neighbors who have them are
friendlies, I've gotten to know the dogs and people on our regular
routes, starting with loose leash walks with Mitzi. The dogs were
curious at first when we went by again with her in harness, but they
accepted her "I'm busy now" attitude and let us go about our business.
Well, one bird dog does bring us gifts of wood chips and the like from
her yard when we go by. /lol/

Dealing positively with the humans involved with other dogs is also my
preferred way to go, whether it's the neighbors or folks with dogs
anywhere. First off, I listen to them as my first cue about whether to
worry about their dog, even if the dog is being vocal. I can tell a lot
from their voice and movements while my dog is telling me what she
thinks about the dog. If the other dog does come close enough to count
as active interference, I still keep it all nice and friendly with both
the dog and human to get it all sorted out. Usually, the people know
about not letting their dog interfere with a working dog but just didn't
notice us as a working team in time, so I don't need to tell them about
it. If I do feel a need to talk about noninterference, I do so in a
friendly way which seems to work better than getting uptight. Keeping it
all loose and easy helps my dog stay confident and also serves a safety
purpose in case the dog is iffy. If I'm concerned about it, the last
thing I am going to do is to be hostile or fearful towards its human
companion!

Don't know if any of that is helpful. I'm another owner-trainer and use
positive methods in training and handling, so it's been pretty easy to
teach my girl to stay positive and not to get upset when she sees other
dogs in case she is punished for being distracted. Which doesn't mean
I've never made grisly threats about that. /lol/ Your school will teach
you how to manage the dog they trained in distraction and dog interactions.

Tami