[nagdu] Finding chairs?

Doug Parisian eggmann at mymts.net
Fri Mar 28 22:41:53 UTC 2014

I think when I get my next dog guide I'll work on this task; not sure
why I never actively did so with my five previous guides.  My dog Iggy
(god aweful name) was quite skilled at finding previously visited objects.

If I left my spot in a bar to make room for more beer, on the return
Iggy would unfailingly return us to the spot we left.  one particular
time, my gang actually left the lounge for almost two hours for a full
super in a different location.  When we returned, good old Iggy returned
to our original spot, now occupied by another party.  He gave the fellow
sitting in MY chare a nudge and the whole gang, after my apology for the
intrusion and explanation as to what happened, very politely moved to
another table.

Iggy ws also very well practiced at picking out cabs, probably because
at the time, our taxis were burning propane so smelled different, and
there may have been other visual clues as well since some of our
government owned vehicles also used this fuel. I would only have to face
the driveway at a hotel, or even the curb.  If there were a cab nearby,
Iggy got the yellow lab rope tail going full gear and pulled toward the
cab.  He sometimes outperformed my sighted company in these situations.
This almost became one of my party tricks.
For those who are rigid about content related to subject, you can stop
reading now caust follows is not directly related.

I was with a group at a lounge shortly after work.  Knowing this, I
braught Iggy's supper doggie bag.  Being in a sharing mood, and noticing
that the munchy bowl was empty, I dropped some of the kibble into said
bowl.  We then switched tables and another bunch sat in our original
spot.  Yes, the did, they also emptied the snak bowl last replenished by
no other than myself.

It's a true tale!