[nagdu] Application Process

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Tue May 6 04:56:35 UTC 2014

Brandon:

I recieved my guide dog, Chase, from GDB in San Rafael last July.  My
application process took about a year and a half, but that's probabaly
unusual.  I have some useable vision, and my O&M skills -- all self-taught--
were not what GDB was looking for.  So I had to get some formal O& M
training.  I had some other things going on in my life that concerned the
admissions committee as well.  They were not major, but the committee
expressed concern they would add stress in the training process.

Once I satisfied their concerns, the lead time was about three months to the
beginning of my class.  I wrote a blog during the training and beyond.  I
began it the day before I began training. In it, I talked about the details
of my training as well as my feelings as I progressed through it.   If you
think it might be helpful for you, you can find it at
craigdogdays.blogspot.com

The earliest entries are, as in most blogs, at the bottom and work up from
there.

Good luck.  Would you be at the California or Oregon campus?

Craig and Chase