[nagdu] GDB time-out

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Tue May 6 18:28:43 UTC 2014

My suggestion would be that if that's your concern, don't use it.  I've used
it in lots of busy places, BART stations, streets of Oakland, baseball games
at AT&T Park.  People adjust and move around us.  If you think New Yorkers
are incapable of adjusting, then don't risk your safety.

Certainly I've never used it in the middle of an intersection.

Our instructors at GDB gave us a saying, "When in doubt, time out."  It was
kind of a reset button.  They told us the dogs were trained to know that
when we released the harness handle, something was wrong.  They used it a
lot for dog distractions.  If we came on a dog (sometimes placed there by
other insturctors for our training), and our dogs were distracted, we would
drop the handle, pull the dog close, and wait for ten seconds or so.  We
would then "forward".  If the dog were undistracted for ten or fifteen
paces, we would "halt" and reward for undistracted behavior.

Craig and Chase