[nagdu] Handling our dogs and bowling alleys

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed May 7 03:16:12 UTC 2014

Hi Ashley,

I used to take Brie to bowling alleys, and she did well.  The noise
never bothered her, and she wasn't distracted by the people or the
bowling balls.  The only thing that we had to work on was her down
stay while she was there.  What I did was put her in a down stay at my
chair while I bowled.  She stayed, except when people walked by her.
She was afraid they were going to run into her and jumped up.
Honestly, I didn't mind this so much because she didn't wander, but it
was still kind of annoying.

I would recommend that you try taking him to see how he does.  I don't
know how he does with you staying while you are a few feet away doing
something else, but if this doesn't bother him, then you should be ok
as long as the noise doesn't get to him either.  You can also tie his
leash to something or ask someone to hold onto it if you are worried
about that.  My mother and I used to bowl together, so I knew she
would keep an eye on Brie for me while I was bowling.  I hope you have
fun...  I miss bowling with my mother, and I miss Brieby coming, even
though the whole thing just bored her.  :)

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National