[nagdu] guide dogs and cab drivers

Cindy Ray via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Mon May 12 14:35:06 UTC 2014

Hi, all,

I am assuming that all get these messages still even with the changes. I wonder how I’ll know. *smile*

Elizabeth, I agree with you. In Minneapolis once we had a driver insist on seeing to all of our transportation because we had had a driver among us who wasn’t willing to take dogs. It is nice when someone is concerned that way, but it doesn’t do the kind of educating we need to do. I have had a cab driver tell me I need to let them know I have the dog because of the possible allergies that drivers may have to dogs. I told him it was not a requirement; he insisted that it was and that I was being inconsiderate. To put out a note like that gives cab drivers the option of quietly not taking the fare. They can do it more easily now than before because of the computers used to call up drivers for fares. Once a driver knows you are using a dog, you can always be refused by that driver and you will never know the difference. Someone else might sometime though if that driver happens upon a person with a dog who had not been marked in the system.

Cindy