[nagdu] guide dog school problem

Nicole Torcolini via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 04:02:10 UTC 2014

I think that the best advice here is to wait until next summer. In addition,
get into a class as close to the beginning of summer break as possible. If
your college allows it, you might want to even take a quarter off to get
your dog. JMHO, you should give your dog and yourself at least two months in
one place (not college) to get settled in. I don't think that trying to get
into an earlier class is a good idea. If they told you that you would be in
an August class, it was most likely because all of the other classes are
full. Even if there are any spare dogs, there is no guarantee that that
spare dog would be the right one for you. Also, if there are spare dogs,
they probably like to save them in case something happens; three of the dogs
in my class had to be swapped out. Finally, it sounds like you might be
rushing into this a little fast. I would recommend thinking over all of this
again. It might even be better to wait until after college to get a guide
dog.