[nagdu] Dogs in the Dorms

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 14:42:22 UTC 2014

Hi Lizzy,
Whether you walk around your dorm with your dog off leash depends on
your partnership. If you have a dog who will stay by your side and not
visit other people or go and explore things, or at least has a good
off-leash recall, then by all means, walk around without the leash. I
never had the Golden Guy on leash in the dorms unless he was working.
I never took my dog to the laundry room because I did not want him in
the way. Also, other people use toxic laundry soaps and dryer sheets,
etc, that might be spilled a bit on the floor or just lying around,
and I did not want my boy exposed to that.
I did not have a roommate because there is just no room. Two people
and a dog--you're all on top of each other in a dorm room cramped with
furniture for 2. I had half the furniture cleared out to make space
for play room.
I also played with the Golden Guy in the halls a lot. They were
perfect for running, chasing, and playing fetch.
I certainly allowed other girls in the dorm to play with him or just
pet him if we were out in the halls after a floor meeting, just
visiting with people, or playing.
Just make sure that your dog doesn't wander into people's rooms. The
Golden Guy did that once to visit his favorite person, and he came out
a different color.
Also, ensure that your dog doesn't get into garbage cans, unless yours
will be up high where it's not a concern. That was never an issue for
us, but I know some dogs can't be trusted.

On 5/16/14, lizzy via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I will be moving into a college dorm this fall and just figured
> I'd ask for advice/tips from any of you who have had guide dogs
> while living in them.  Since I've never dealt with a situation
> like this, I'm open to any advice, warnings, tips etc.  Here are
> a few questions that I've been thinking about:
> - Do you let your dog walk around the dorm off leash with you?
> Ex: While you do some laundry your dog is sitting beside you but
> not necessarily on leash.
> - Did you allow interactions with others while in the dorms?
> - Did you have a roommate? If so, was the dog an issue at all?
> - I've already purchased a compact pet vacuum and a huge sealed
> container for her food.  Are there any other extra supplies that
> I'll need to purchase?
> - Anything else that I should know or prepare before moving in?
> I know it's a while away, and that ultimately I'll have to decide
> how to handle these situations but I like to be prepared and it
> can't hurt to ask.
> Thanks,
> Lizzy

Raven