[nagdu] guide dog school problem

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 19:38:58 UTC 2014

I guess I don't address this much because I ignore most strangers
unless they address me directly, and even then I use discretion. I
don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone unless I interact with
them on a regular basis. What matters most is concentrating on my
partnership and working with my dog, no one's comments are going to
make us any better or worse off, so I don't even bother with the
nonsense.

On 5/16/14, Cindy Ray via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> It is annoying because you have to constantly say the same things over and
> over and over again. Of course they aren't to the same people, but they get
> tiring. People ought to leave it all alone.
>
> Cindy
>
> On May 16, 2014, at 12:05 PM, Julie J. via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
>> The thing I find most annoying is when Monty is working perfectly and
>> someone asks if I'm training him or apologizes for their part in his
>> misperceived bad behavior.
>>
>> Example...the other day...well a few weeks ago I guess, I was going down a
>> flight of stairs.  Monty stops at the top step and waits for my cue to
>> proceed.  While we are stopped he is watching the folks coming up the
>> stairs to make sure there is clearance and everything passes the super
>> strict Monty safety standards.  all of this happens in about one second,
>> but one of the people on the stairs apologizes for being in our way.  I
>> responded with something to the effect of, "your fine.  He's supposed to
>> stop at the top of the stairs so I can be sure to find the first step."
>> She made some comment of amazement and how that was such a good idea.
>>
>> It's little things like this that happen frequently that annoy me.   I'm
>> not sure why.  I mean why do I have this expectation that the public will
>> know how guide dogs work?  How are they supposed to know?  And what
>> difference does it make to me?
>>
>> Julie

Raven