[nagdu] Dogs in the Dorms

The Pawpower Pack via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 00:48:54 UTC 2014

Vivianna,
You make some very good points here, however you left one thing out.
Handler responsibility.  My dogs are allowed to greet, be played with, and flirt with my friends.  However, work time is work time, period, end of story.  My dog might go to the park with a friend and me, and that same friend may come by a few days later to go out for dinner with me.  My dog will, can, and does behave appropriately when she is working.  It is very clear, the difference between fun time and work time.  The expectation is clear to her from day one.  Now either I just have extra special dogs— highly doubtful, or my training some how differs from a style of a program.
I just spent a week with 2 other owner trainers and their dogs.  The dogs ran around, played with one another and all the people.  Then, sometimes 5 minutes afterward we all went out and worked our dogs and none of them were at all confused about the expectations.  These are trained, but still very green dogs, so I know if they can work during work time and play during play time and understand the difference, then any dog should be able to do this.  And if they are unable, then there is a deeper issue at play here.
I do agree that a dorm is much like an apartment complex.  I would also encourage people who live in dorms to find an area where their dogs can play and run. Ie an off leash park, a friend's yard, or the like.  Dogs also need time to run out their yayas and play.

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone