[nagdu] Dogs in the Dorms

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 20:04:43 UTC 2014

Whether going to college after getting a guide dog is a good idea or
not depends on a number of factors. There are a couple of people here
at this school that have done this, but after training they also
visited the college over the summer to receive o&m services to get
acclimated to the campus. This is not possible for everyone. You can
also arrive on campus a week or two early to have o&m training. I got
the Golden Guy the June after my 3rd semester, and after speaking to
the dean of students, I moved onto the campus a week early to get
adjusted.
I haven't had many issues with other people trying to feed my dog. One
of my suite mates was eating cereal, and dropped some on the floor for
my dog and tried to get him to eat it. But He is trained not to eat
off the ground, and I quickly educated her when I understood what was
happening.
I have allowed my roommate to give the Golden Guy some banana slices
and melon, but she has to put it in his bowl because I've also trained
him not to accept food from other people.

I said he came out of that chick's room a different color because when
he ran in to visit her, he knocked over a container of puffy paint
with his tail. It obviously got on the floor and his rear end, but the
girl didn't tell me. She just started cleaning the floor, and I asked
her what happened and she just said oh nothing. I walked out of her
room and the Golden Guy was rolling all over the floor. I had no idea
what it was, I couldn't find anything on his back or belly. I took him
to one of the other girls, and she saw blue paint on his head and in
his skirt. I quickly got him in the shower 'cause that's all we had
and scrubbed his skirt and head down. Afterward, I took a damp dog to
the first chick's room and asked her if he had any more paint on him
and she quickly realized what happened.
I was incredibly upset at the time, but I can joke about it now.

Raven