[nagdu] Dogs in the Dorms

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 21:22:12 UTC 2014

Yes, i was quite upset because on one hand, I felt responsible. I
mean, yes, we were just playing out in the hallway, but I felt like
maybe I should have kept him from going into, or should have taught
him not to just walk into people's rooms. On the other hand, I was
furious at this chick for just not telling me what happened. She was
incredibly inconsiderate for a number of reasons in addition to this
particular circumstance.

On 5/17/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that because I was thinking more about the
> dorm
> than the campus and college in general. If I remember correctly, I moved in
> early my freshmen year. The orientation and mobility instructor  who worked
> with me had worked with guide dogs before, so that helped a little.
> Occasionally, he would come back if one of my classes was on part of campus
> that I had not explored before. However, this was not always necessary as
> some of the classes were in the same buildings as other ones, and, once I
> knew a general area, if another area was close by, I could usually branch
> out to the new area without too much trouble. The one thing that made the
> campus difficult and sometimes required help was the fact, like someone
> already said, that the campus was not city blocks. In numerous places,
> there
> were paths that were defined primarily by grass islands with subtly curving
> edges, so it was very easy to inadvertently follow the curve and get
> pointing in the wrong direction. For this reason, I often did not allow
> Lexia to go on autopilot, as, sometimes, she would get in her head that she
> knew where we were going, but, had I followed her, we would have ended up
> in
> the wrong place. Usually, there was a way to get from place to place via
> roads with sidewalks, but, unless you wanted a work out for both speed and
> distance, the paths were much faster.
> I like the story about your friend trying to feed your dog. I think that it
> is a good example of how, sometimes, people don't do things because they
> are
> trying to be mean or cause trouble but rather because they just don't know
> better, particularly when it comes to not doing certain things, such as
> feeding human food, that most people probably do for their pet dogs. Of
> course, it's different if you have already asked someone not to do
> something, but that person does it anyway.
> That's kind of funny about the paint. However, I would have been quite mad,
> at least for a little while. Guide dog related or not, I absolutely hate it
> when I ask someone what happened or what are you doing or what-have-you,
> and
> they reply "Oh, nothing", especially when I know that the person is lying
> and/or it is something that I would be able to tell for myself if I was not
> blind.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ravend729%40gmail.
>>> c