[nagdu] Command Warm-ups

The Pawpower Pack via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Mon May 26 17:44:52 UTC 2014

Hi Kristen,
I did not review obedience cues with either my border collie or Doberman guides.  They became bored and frustrated, and it did not have any positive outcomes for us.  With Soleil, my new service dog— a lab— we reviewed cues every day before working for months.  Now I do it from time to time.  It does help her get into a working mindset.  The cues we use are
Sit, down, down and or sit stay, recall, nose targeting, stand, stand stay.  We will soon add paw targeting.
As for getting your dog out from under things, does he know the touch cue?  Nose targeting.  You can teach him to touch his nose to your fist.  This helps my dog in many ways.  If I want her in a particular position, I can get her to follow my fist with her nose— and where the nose goes, the body follows.  I also use this cue when my dog is distracted.  It is a way from me to redirect her attention.  I do keep it on a very high rate of reinforcement.
Good luck!

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com