[nagdu] Command Warm-ups

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Mon May 26 19:39:24 UTC 2014

Kristen,
Clicker training is essentially positive reinforcement training.
Positive reinforcement is simply adding something positive, or
rewarding, to the environment when a desired behavior is performed,
which will ensure the repetition or continued performance of the
desired behavior. This reinforcement, or reward, can be anything
appealing to the trainee, a toy, treats, moving forward, sniffing,
digging, marking, the options just depend on what is rewarding to the
particular student. It has been used for quite some time with training
marine mammals, and is relatively new in the dog training world.
Clicker training involves using a clicker or a distinct sound cue that
communicates to an animal that they have performed a desired behavior,
and that a reward is coming. The clicker is more effective than a
person's voice because it is quick and consistent. A person's voice
can change volume, tone and pitch, but the clicker is a consistent
sound.
This training method is force-free, meaning physical force is not used
at all. To get a dog to perform the desired behavior, you either wait
for it and click, or lure or guide the dog into position using a
target, treat, or toy, then click the dog when they are in position.
You can clicker train just about anyone, and you can use it in just
about every situation. When we taught our dogs in class how to find
chairs, we used clicker training. When I teach dogs basic obedience, I
always use clicker training. When I teach dogs the "leave it" cue or
leash manners, clicker training is my answer. The guide dog schools
that teach it make it seem like it's only a tool for targeting, but
you can use it to teach just about anything you want.
There are a number of books and articles about it. The number 1 source
is clickertraining.com, and also Karen Pryor's books Don't Shoot the
Dog and Clicker Training for Dogs, which are both available on
Bookshare I believe.

Raven