[nagdu] natural flea and tick preventatives

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 16:32:46 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
I want to post more info about natural pest prevention since I
primarily suggested oils, which are obviously not the only method of
natural repellents, and I said I don't really use the oils for
prevention anyway.
First, the ultimate defense against invasive pests and disease is a
good diet. Good nutrition establishes a strong immune system. A strong
immune system and high nutrient levels of antioxidants, B complex,
selenium and zinc in the body help repel insects in pets and humans. A
raw diet naturally has a fair amount of these nutrients; and this is
why naturally reared dogs are able to repel pests with little aid, if
any at all.
In addition, herbs and other dietary supplements serve as natural
repellents among other functions. Herbs that can be used for pest
prevention are red clover, ginger, and burdock root. Taken internally,
these herbs make a host's blood bitter, and in turn, repel the pests
that seek out sweet-tasting blood.
Twice a week, I give the Golden Guy an ounce of Country Life's aloe
vera liquid, which is loaded with herbs, including the three mentioned
above. I give this for immune support, the aloe vera and herbs serve a
multitude of purposes. I purchased this product from supersup.com.
Organic apple cider vinegar also makes the blood alkaline and
bitter-tasting. Try adding a tablespoon to your dog's water daily. You
can also apply it topically, spraying full strength, or 50/50 acv and
water on the coat and brushing it in daily. Here's a good article on
acv and its many uses.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/2_6/features/5220-1.html
Food-grade diatomaceous earth, or de, is effective against internal
and external parasites, a natural dewormer, and a good source of trace
minerals. It is made from the crushed fossils of freshwater organisms,
and it has microscopic sharp edges that are safe for us and our pets,
but is harmful to pests because it lacerates their exoskeletons,
causing the bugs to become dehydrated and die off. Here's an excellent
article on the usage of food-grade DE.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-diatomaceous-earth/
Garlic is notorious for repelling pests and its other medicinal
properties. Ignore the nonsense that says any amount of garlic is
dangerous to pets, and learn the truth. You can add one finely chopped
clove, exposed to air for 10 minutes, to your dog's food daily. Here's
your article:
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/garlic-for-dogs-poison-or-medicine/
Lastly, research transfer factor or bovine colostrum for immune support.
Notice that all of the things I mentioned above do not merely kill or
repel insects, but they all work with the body by strengthening the
immune system.
There are many more ways to support the immune system and fend off
invaders. Above are just a few. All of these methods will not work for
everyone all of the time for various reasons. Also, there's nothing
wrong with experimenting with different methods or combining different
methods of pest repellents for stronger protection.
In closing, research anything before you give it to your pet or ingest
it yourself, especially for medicinal, maintenance, or therapeutic
purposes. Whether the suggestion comes from a conventional
veterinarian, or someone who studies and implements naturopathy such
as myself, you should always educate yourself about what you choose to
put into your own and your dog's body.

--
Raven
email: Ravend729 at gmail.com