[nagdu] Pet Insurance

Alysha via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 22:23:35 UTC 2014

Craig,
I decided to get pet insurance after a friend of mine paid $3500 because his
dog swallowed a sock. I use Healthy Paws, and I've had very good luck with
them so far (although I've only submitted minor claims). I have an annual
deductible of $250, and after that, they pay 90% of all costs associated
with treatment of an accident or illness. There is no limit to the amount I
can claim. It does not cover wellness checks or vaccines. When I started, my
premium was about $40 a month, but it's gone up to about $55 as my dog has
aged. He's currently almost 9 years old. Healthy Paws has several plan
options you can choose from with different annual deductibles and
reimbursement rates which will affect your premium. One important
consideration when choosing pet health insurance is whether the company pays
your actual expenses or if they pay a set amount they have pre-determined
for each procedure/medication. Healthy Paws is one company that pays the
actual expenses charged by your vet. Their website is:
http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/

Here are two more links I found very helpful when researching which
insurance to choose. http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ has many customer
reviews of all the pet insurance companies out there.
http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/ is a well-researched and detailed
description of available plans and issues related to pet insurance written
by a vet. Hope this helps!

Alysha